How can I request a refund of a donation?


Your money is your money.  If you did not mean to make a contribution, discover an error, or just want your money back, please contact us and we’ll happily help you resolve the situation (and refund your contribution).  Please note, however, that we can only refund your contribution until we transfer the funds to your intended recipient (which happens on the Monday or Wednesday of the week following your donation); after that point, you will need to seek a refund from your intended recipient.

You can reach us by e-mail.  Our e-mail address is info (at)  When you e-mail, please give us your full name, the last four digits of the card used, the amount and the date of the contribution.